Translate

Our Childhood Shapes Us


Whether you like it or not, there is a part of your childhood in the person you are today. Our childhood has a major influence on the adult we become. As for me I grew up in a family of four mum, dad and my big sister. Believe me this is the smallest African family (laughs).
My baby picture
Our childhood is like a foundation of a house on which our adulthood is built and if this is not solid may result into emotional cracks and wounds that affect your adult lives. Each one of us has a story about how your family used to spend time together, internet free childhood, religious background and how you used to fight with your siblings. Each story is unique, and these becomes memories.

My Childhood


I grew up in a middle family class family in Kampala. With my parents being uneducated, my father learnt how to drive and became a cross country truck driver. My mum became a business lady and opened up her own hair salon in downtown Kampala. My parents were never around, so me and my sister spent most of our childhood with extended family especially paternal grandmother. 
Me in front of the line, big sister third and our friends

 Life with no internet.


For me these are the memories that stack with me, no internet and no electricity in the village. At my grandmother’s house we lived on farming and it was a must every morning we go to the garden and come back in the afternoon except on Fridays. This was fun, from the 20 minutes walking distancing to the garden to our granny making us greet everyone we met along the way that she knew. To be honest the journey took more time because of the greetings.
Me on a hike in Bergen, Norway


The games we played, hide and seek, dodge ball and making our own dolls from banana fibers. Telling scary stories to each other in the evenings and sitting in a circle on the back pouch to eat dinner (no one left that circle until everyone was done eating). These memories have a lot to say about the person I am today.



Comments

  1. Awesome story guess I too need to come up with a story. Thanks for sharing, we always enjoyed life even if Internet wasn't available

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for Reading! And yes we need more stories like this😃

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts